Friday, March 25, 2016

Finding Our Groove

Our first year of homeschooling thus far has been quite the journey. We've gone from doing a blend of everything, to mostly AmblesideOnline. We've changed our handwriting program, our math curriculum (a couple of times), and few other things over these past months.

We took our time through Term 1, taking a lot of time off during the holidays. We won't do that again. All the time off really threw us off and we had a hard time getting back into the routine of school. So, from now on we will school 12 weeks with a week off between terms. When the holidays roll around we will take a week off for Thanksgiving and Christmas but that's it. Because our school day is a short 4 hours and the kids view it more as fun than work, they don't require "time off" to destress.

Although, we've been schooling long enough to place us well into term 2, our switch to following AO more closely has led to the decision of starting Term 2 next week. I sat down and figured out our schedule all the way through 2017 to ensure we would have the right amount of days our state requires. What a job!

I've found that I like for the children to complete a few of their subjects on the computer. It frees me up and yet I don't feel guilty because I know they are learning in a style that suits them best.

For example, my first grader is working through Explode the Code online for his phonics program. I was so nervous about teaching him to read but not anymore! We do add supplement readers to the program like Bob Books and Abeka's readers (which are good, leveled phonics readers). His love for reading is growing and that is the most important thing! I didn't want it to feel like a chore to him.

We have been using XtraMath.org for drilling math facts but I knew my 4th grader needed more than drills. We went ahead and took the plunge and purchased Teaching Textbooks Math after she used the online sample and fell in love with the program. We will continue to use XtraMath as a supplement but not as a sole curriculum.

My first grader is very frustrated with XtraMath. He becomes rather discombobulated when he doesn't type the answer correctly or in time. I lengthened the time allowed on their site but he has stated he would rather just do worksheets. I don't want him to hate math so I need to find a more gentle approach for him. For now we will incorporate his math facts into his daily copywork. Maybe seeing them correctly written will plant a memory seed for him. Plus, he writes one word, perfectly. He did a great job and was very proud of himself!


Another thing that kept falling to the wayside was his free reads. Because he isn't reading independently yet, I have to read those to him and I ended up putting them off. Now, I've finally found a way that he won't miss out on those great books. LibriVox! We had an old phone that can still access WiFi so I downloaded the LibriVox app to it and bought a pair of Dollar Tree headphones. He is so proud that he can listen to his books without anyone's help now.

I've found that allowing the kids to stay up 30 minutes past their bedtime was great encouragement for free reading. They have definitely devoured some books during that half hour!
So that's it about the kids journey so far! They've done really well. As for me? Well, I've definitely experienced a number of epiphanies along the way too. I'm learning to have faith that God will fill in those gaps that are undoubtedly there in the children's education. I've learned its not the end of the world if all my boxes don't get checked off. I've learned there is much to be gained from having friends who are walking the same road and from those who have actually been there.

Homeschooling is a journey, not a destination.