Thursday, June 20, 2019

Our Apologia 1st Edition Lesson Plans

I finally laid out my 8th graders Physical Science plans. I planned on making a bound journal similar to what they offer now for the 2nd edition but it didn't work out. Our objective for the journal isn't busy work, instead we want it to teach her how to take notes and learn study skills.

So, instead I've decided to get a binder and divide it into the 16 modules of the book. Under each module she will place the assignments for that section.

Front of Binder
Student Notes
Lesson Plans

16 Module Divider Covers Notes on the reading
Vocabulary
On Your Own Questions
Experiments/Lab Reports
Study Guides
Completed Exams

Back of Binder
review of:
Scientific Method
How to fill out lab reports
How to take Notes from text/videos
blank paper
blank lab reports

Each module will hopefully take 2 weeks to complete. She will begin each reading with an applicable video, read the assigned section, complete the experiments, complete vocabulary and OYOs as she comes to them, and as a wrap up before the exams, she will watch the lesson videos included with the Red Wagon Tutorials. (Mr. Rosenoff includes the links within his pdfs that you can download for FREE at RED WAGON TUTORIALS.) She will then complete the study guide and take the exam. We are planning for up to an hour per day, 4 days a week. If she needs more time she can use the 5th day.

Here's the binder cover and our plans. I haven't made the divider pages yet but when I do, I will add those as well.

 

We do like notebooking pages but I'm not sure if we are going to use them for notes or not. Here are a couple of science note taking links that I've found. I did invest in a TpT note taking module and plan to use it at the beginning of the school year.

Sprouting Tadpoles. She includes outline pages for note taking, research pages and lab forms.

Glencoe has a physical science notebooking journal that I might use pieces of as a graphic organizer.

The Yahoo! Group "Apologia Jr/Sr High Science" still has files up with schedules and resources for all the sciences.