Friday, July 31, 2015

Hymn and Folk Song Study

Hymns

I haven't studied hymns before. I don't even have any of them memorized. Charlotte Mason recommends studying 3 hymns and 3 folk songs per term.


I have a great book titled Then Sings My Soul by Robert J. Morgan. Its 2 volumes in one. It not only has the music but also a synopsis about the piece too. Perfect for study! We picked hymns from this book that we could match music to online.


Our selections for 2015-16 year
Term 1
August        Be Thou My Vision 8th Century
September  A Mighty Fortress Is Our God 1529
October     O Happy Day, That Fixed My Choice 1755

Term 2
November   Holy, Holy, Holy! Lord God Almighty 1826
December   O Little Town of Bethlehem 1868
January       Just As I Am 1836

Term 3
February     What a Friend We Have In Jesus 1855
March         Jesus Loves Me 1860
April          Shall We Gather at the River 1864 or listen HERE


Folk Songs 

Folk Songs?? I didn't think I knew any until I started looking them up! I had to google what folk songs were, which led to learning about ballads. Ballads are a part of folk music but not all folk songs are ballads! Ballads are longer and tell a story. Folk songs typically become a part of the culture and are passed down verbally. Anyway, here's what we've picked for this year.


2015-2016
Term 1
August          A-Hunting We Will Go  1777 British
September    Early One Morning  1787 English                                    
October       Old Dan Tucker  1843 American print Lyrics HERE (colorful history apparently, I will elaborate on the dancing game aspect)
  

Term 2
November   There's a Hole in My Bucket c. 1700  history
December   Oh! Susannah! 1847 Stephen Foster
January      I've Been Working on the Railroad 1894

Term 3
February     The Erie Canal  1905
March         Home on the Range  1908
April          Billy Boy 1912