Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Pre-Algebra, Ratios, Proportions and Unit Rates

Let me be really honest right here, I FAILED pre-algebra in school. I'm not sure that it was a lack of understanding, as much as it was a lack of interest. Okay, misplaced interest, in boys. If only I knew then what I know now. Anyway, I never really grasped the whole algebra scene until I hit college and had to take a remedial math. I actually enjoyed that class and finally began to understand the complexities of Algebra.

Fast forward nearly 30 years and now I'm trying to help my 8th grader acquire the skill of algebraic thinking. It's been tough. Winding our way between homeschool philosophies, and a  variety of curriculum hasn't helped matters any.

We are revisiting Math Mammoth this year. We had tried it once before a couple of years back but I think we stopped in order to follow a more living (Charlotte Mason) approach. Math Mammoth has been "okay" for the most part. The text speaks directly to the student which works until it doesn't. The lessons get tiresome as the author tries to incorporate a variety of methods to solve a problem. I don't remember her earlier curriculum being common core aligned but it is now and she is continuously trying to cover all her bases. It's easy to get bogged down with it all.

We are at that point right now with Ratios, Proportions and Unit Rates. I had to find a different resource to help her understand what she was doing, the steps she needed to take and find plenty of practice problems (with answers!)

I found a Pre-Algebra book on the Internet Archive that provided examples, guided practice, practice problems and answers in the back. We like it's set up.

To increase fluency and remove "Mom" from the equation I also found these videos on YouTube by Tyler Dewitt:

Understanding Conversion Factors
Converting Units with Factors
Converting Units using Multiple Steps
Multiple Conversions (Part 2)

Tyler has a couple of more videos in this playlist about using unit conversions with area and volume, and converting metric units of volume. When we get there we will watch those too.

I also printed out "How to Convert Units of Measurement" posted by Stan Brown at his website BrownMath.com We like how he gives step-by-step instructions. In fact, he has a ton of teaching tips and a couple of free math texts (statistics and trig) on his site, you should go check him out.

Well, it's time for me to go tackle some algebraic thinking!